Wednesday, November 11, 2015

What to Eat Wednesday #2

What to Eat this week -- EGGS!

This week's "What to Eat" is all about Eggs -- I've been an egg lover as long as I can remember!  My go-to habit lately is to hard boil a bunch at the start of the week and then eat one or two for breakfast (with coffee, toast, and maybe some breakfast meats).  
What I like about eggs:
  • "Packaged" as single serving
  • Can be prepped ahead of time
  • Are super filling and keep me full all morning
  • Can be made for breakfast, lunch or dinner
  • Act as a great camouflage for veggies
  • Packed with Protein
  • Add a sort of silky luxury to my Korean dishes (yolk on top of Bibimbap... mmmm...)
  • Are relatively cheap and easy to have on hand
  • Versatile enough to be transformed into new dishes -- as a way to be creative!

Nutrition Stats


 For such a versatile little bundle of deliciousness -- Eggs will only clock in around 80 calories a piece.  They are a great source of protein and really easy to pop in your mouth once they're hard boiled.
According to this article, eggs have 10 proven health benefits including:
  1. They're super nutritious -  They contain Vitamin A, B5, B12, B2, Folate, Phosphorus, and Selenium as well as some Vitamin D, E, K, B6, Calcium, and Zinc.  Not bad for a little nugget of heaven that'll only set you back 70-80 calories for one large egg.
  2. They're good for your eyes -- move over carrots!  Apparently they contain Lutein and other nutrients that may help counteract some processes that could adversely affect our eyes.
  3. They're high in quality protein-- One egg contains 6 grams of protein
  4. They'll keep you full -- Eggs are the original protein ball and protein keeps you full!! 

Recipes to Try

  1. Good Old Hard Boiled!!  I stick a few eggs in a pot, cover with cold water, then bring to a boil with the lid on.  One the water is boiling -- I take the pan (still covered) off the heat and let it sit for at least 10 minutes before I rinse with cold water and peel.  Once I peel them I let them cool fully and store in individual zip lock bags in the fridge for grab and go mornings.
  2. Frittata -- I add anything I have laying around and make new combinations any time.  Here's a great recipe to start with. 
  3. Omelet -- My absolute favorite omelet is one made by my dad with perfectly cubed ham and lots of shredded cheese.  I've also had one with caramelized onions that makes a great dinner with a side salad.  I usually use two large eggs to make my omelets because 3 is just too many, but if you ever have issues with tearing or stuffing leaking out -- use more eggs and split with a friend!
  4. Egg salad sandwiches -- for a great low maintenance lunch -- I use hard boiled eggs, that I smash to oblivion and then add veggies and either miracle whip or mayo depending on  my mood.  Great on toast/bread, crackers, or in a salad
  5. Coconut Macaroon -- Coconuts have their own amazing health benefits, but add in some whipped egg whites and you bump up the protein -- and make it into a cookie?  What could possibly be wrong with this??

How do you like your eggs?  
What's your go to breakfast for grab and go mornings?  
What are you eating this Wednesday?

No comments:

Post a Comment