Saturday, August 22, 2015

Running

Background


I've been running off and on for three years now.  I started weighing 225 pounds and could only run for 30 seconds before feeling like I might die.  To help get me started, I used a couch to five K podcast that was available for free.  It was a run/walk program. 

Since first lacing up, I've completed a handful of 5K's, a 10K and am currently training for my first Half Marathon.

I can literally run for hours without stopping -- My current personal record is an 8 mile run completed in about 2 hours.  Clearly, I don't run fast -- I just run.

Why run?

At my heaviest, I was truly unhappy and unhealthy.  I wanted a way to workout that didn't cost anything and would make me feel like I was working towards my goal of getting healthier.  My family has a scary healthy history with almost every possible risk factor -- I wanted to do anything to avoid history repeating.  

Now that I've been running regularly, I've noticed that I'm much nicer, calmer, and happier after a run.  Each run is its own battle, but afterwards I'm so... zen...  It's definitely been a therapy for me, as it helps me work through some anxiety as well as renew my self-confidence.  

Currently Training Plan

My current training plan has me running roughly 3 days a week.  Any more than this and my body starts to rebel.  Running 3 days a week gives me a bit of a break in between each run even though I'm still able to rack up some miles each week.

I adapted my training plan from an 8-week Half Marathon Training plan I found in Fitness magazine.  I piggy backed this right after a 9 week "couch to five K" adaptation which also had 3 runs a week.

Here's a pic from my most recent treadmill run


I plan to continue training after my half marathon until I hit all my goals.

Running Goals

To complete a half-marathon
To complete a full-marathon
To complete a sub 40 min 5K
To complete a sub 90 min 10K



What are your running goals?
How do you maintain your weight?
Do you run for speed or distance or both?

Leave a comment/reply and let me know!! ^_^






No comments:

Post a Comment